Fresh Mozzarella In 30 Minutes
30 Minute Mozzarella
Yield: 1 pound
¼ teaspoon liquid rennet
1 ½ teaspoon citric acid
1 gallon whole milk
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix the liquid rennet with a ¼ cup cool water and set aside.
2. Mix the citric acid with 1 cup cool water and pour into a large stockpot. Pour in the milk and stir. Slowly heat the milk to 90 degrees. The milk will begin to curdle. If the milk is not forming a proper curd, increase the heat to 95 degrees.
3. At 90 degrees, remove the pot from the heat and slowly add the rennet. Stir in a top to bottom motion for 30 seconds and then stop. Cover the pot and leave undisturbed for 5 minutes.
4. Check the curd after 5 minutes to determine a clear separation between the curds and whey. If the whey is milky, let it set 10 minutes longer.
5. Place the pot back on the stove and heat to 105 degrees while slowly stirring the curds with a large spoon. Take the pot off the burner and continue stirring slowly for 2 minutes.
6. With a slotted spoon, scoop the curds into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Drain off any whey. Microwave two more times for 35 seconds each draining off any whey.
7. Remove the curds from the bowl and sprinkle the salt over. Using both hands, stretch and fold the curds repeatedly until smooth and shiny. Shape into a ball. Place the ball in an ice bath to cool. Store in a salt water brine in the refrigerator until ready to eat.