Fried green Tomatoes
Serve up with a bold dash of hot sauce and buttermilk dressing alongside.
Fried Green Tomatoes
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
3 lb. green tomatoes
1 cup find-grind white cornmeal
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. In a shallow bowl, combine the buttermilk and pepper sauce and set aside.
2. Core the tomatoes and slice off the very top and bottom of the tomato. Makes
slices 3/8-inch thick. Coat the slices in the buttermilk mixture; cover with plastic
wrap and refrigerate an hour before frying.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cornstarch, cayenne pepper and salt.
Dredge the slices in the cornmeal mixture liberally coating each side.
4. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until a few cornmeal
grains sizzle when dropped in the oil.
5. Fry the slices in batches until deeply golden, approximately 3 minutes per side.
Transfer the tomatoes to a baking sheet lined with paper towel and allow to drain
briefly. Serve hot.